CCA BOARD MEETING CALENDAR
6:00 - Work Session
7:00 - Regular Meeting
Clear Creek Elementary
Board workshop sessions are open meetings. Please note that the board does not typically hold a public forum for community input during workshop sessions.
Work Session for potential school board candidates
The Clear Creek Amana Board of Education will host a work session on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 at Clear Creek Elementary in Oxford, Iowa beginning at 7:00 pm for interested candidates in the upcoming September 2013 school election. Interested persons will have an opportunity to gather information about board operations, time commitments, expectations and responsibilities of board service and the election process. Timelilne to file nomination papers is July 8, 2013 through August 1, 2013. If you plan to attend the meeting, please contact Lori Robertson, Board Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-828-4510 ext 5 to allow for sufficient materials to be available.
WORK SESSION MINUTES
May 15, 2013
The Clear Creek Amana Community School District Board of Directors met in work session on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at the Clear Creek Elementary School, Oxford, Iowa. President Schmidt called the meeting to order at 7:56 pm. Members present: Broghammer, Davis, Hergert, Pitlick, Schmidt, Seelman, Swenka (arrived at 8:00 pm).
Motion Pitlick, second Hergert to approve the agenda. Ayes – all.
Discussion of Recommendations from Facility Study Committee
Dr. Schares reviewed the summary resulting from discussion at the May 8, 2013 work session.
- Amana Elementary PK-3 Amana students
4-6 Amana and Oxford students
- Clear Creek Elementary PK-3 CCE students (includes current configuration with Tiffin town students attending CCE)
- North Bend Elementary PK-3
- Expansion at Middle School 4-6 NBE students and CCE students living East of Oxford
(attached new construction with shared common spaces)
- Middle School 7-8 All district students
- High School 9-12 All district students
- Topics for further consideration:
4th POD at NBE
9th Grade Wing at HS
New elementary building
Board discussed a timeline for a school bond election. Potential dates include Sept 10, 2013 or February 4, 2014. Other factors considered include: effect on occupy date, bid letting, progress of design, potential of new board members, new superintendent. Time necessary to answer questions and develop scenarios to gain consensus of the board and to build consensus in the community. Board reached consensus to target February 2014 election for potential bond election.
Other points of discussion include: 4th POD at NBE would buy time to develop next steps, need to build buildings to allow administration flexibility to set grade configurations, board job to provide space and admin job to decide on configurations, build core space for future additions, use of portables and new regulations for use of portables, use of west campus and necessary updates for plumbing to meet specs, inability to move walls to make larger classrooms at west campus, use of west campus for specific departments/curriculums, 6 acres of developable land on current MS/HS site, if move retention pond could gain 1-2 additional acres, NBE is 15 acre site with 9.5 acres developed, determine need for land, Ireland Ave expansion will take everything east of first row of parking on east side of island, significance of use of auditorium and gym at current MS, current MS in good shape, develop plan for 2, 3 and/or 5 yrs, administration needs direction from board to plan for upcoming years, impact of flood plain on plans, significant fill was used to bring land out of flood plain when athletic complex built, information needed by communities to have successful bond issue, development in Tiffin and North Liberty, information necessary to continue discussion, review of services provided by ISFIS, Larry Sigel, hold work session with June meeting: work session 7-8 pm and regular meeting at 8:15 pm.
Motion Pitlick, second Hergert to adjourn at 9:25 pm. Ayes – all.
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
MAY 15, 2013
The Clear Creek Amana Community School District Board of Directors met in regular session on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at the Clear Creek Elementary School, Oxford, Iowa. President Schmidt called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm. Members present: Broghammer, Davis, Hergert, Pitlick (arrived at 7:32 pm), Schmidt, Seelman. Absent: Swenka.
Motion Seelman, second Davis to approve the agenda. Ayes – all.
Public Hearing for Amana Elementary Roof Project
President Schmidt opened the public hearing for the Amana Elementary Roof Project at 7:05 pm. No public comments. President Schmidt closed the public hearing.
Community/Public Forum - Contact your school board correspondence contained concerns/questions regarding additional staffing for the band program and change in advisory scheduling.
NBE Progress – Ray Willoughby, District construction manager and Keith Johnk, Shive Hattery gave updates on the NBE addition. Project on schedule. Vinyl floor down; concrete poured around building; terrazzo floor 80% complete, casework installed.
Superintendent Report-June meeting will be at NBE including a tour of POD addition; Board Candidate Work Session to be held June 12, 2013 at 7:00 pm’ working on staffing and negotiations; Literacy adoption for K-5, 6-12 available for future consideration; Hills Bank offering a Clipper Debit Card to customers; ISFIS services available for work with bond issues, operational costing and demographic/mapping; reading with all 1st graders this spring; PE grant work continues; Transitions Center will host graduation tomorrow; attended a number of concerts and extra- curricular activities.
Board-President Schmidt announced receipt of $1,934.80 from Hills Bank-Classroom for Cash Program.
- Motion Seelman, second Broghammer to Approve Contract for Amana Roof Project.
Broghammer – yes; Davis – yes; Hergert – yes; Pitlick – yes; Schmidt – yes; Seelman – yes;
Swenka – yes. Academy Roofing was the successful bidder at $396,300.
- Motion Broghammer, second Seelman to Approve Contract for NBE Driveway Project. Davis – yes;
Hergert – yes; Pitlick – yes; Schmidt – yes; Seelman – yes; Swenka – yes; Broghammer – yes.
Streb Construction was successful quote at $35,292.
- Motion Seelman, second Hergert to Approve 2013-14 CCAEA Ratified Agreement and Issuance of Contracts. Hergert – yes; Pitlick – yes; Schmidt – yes; Seelman – yes; Swenka – yes;
Broghammer – yes; Davis – yes. Negotiated agreement includes a 4.48% package
- Motion Hergert, second Davis to Approve Admin/Exempt, Classified and Pool Salary Agreement and Issuance of Contracts. Pitlick – no; Schmidt – yes; Seelman – yes; Swenka – yes;
Broghammer – yes; Davis – yes; Hergert – yes. Agreement will be a package of approximately 4.48%
- Motion Pitlick, second Seelman to Approve Shive Hattery Contract for Architectural Services for Exploration of Facilities Options. Schmidt – yes; Seelman – yes; Swenka – yes;
Broghammer – yes; Davis – yes; Hergert – yes; Pitlick – yes.
- Motion Seelman, second Hergert to Approve Consent Items. Seelman – yes; Swenka – yes; Broghammer – yes; Davis – yes; Hergert – yes; Pitlick – yes; Schmidt – yes.
- Minutes of April 17, 2013 – Work Session and Regular Meeting
Open Enrollments – IN 2012-13: Morgan Parthemore, 8th, College Comm OUT 2012-13: Hayden Mayfield, 11th, Iowa City IN 2013-14: None OUT 2013-14: Kieran McDonald, 10th, Marion HSAP; Adam Boddicker, 7th, Iowa Valley, recommendation to deny-not meet good cause.
- Staff Changes - New Hires: Tim Kuehl, Superintendent effective July 1, 2013; Sean Patrick, HS Soc Studies; Kyle Stoner, HS football asst; Duane Matthess, HS football asst; Jake Koolbeck, HS softball asst; Jennifer Ploeger, NBE 4th grade; Hallee Harrison, NBE 5th grade; Chelsey Carmody, HS softball asst; Samantha Valentine, HS softball asst; Elizabeth Petersen, Springmier Library asst; Nathan Carlson, HS health
- Resignations: Ruth Cooper, AE/MS library, Stefani Schlesselman, HS classroom aide; Sarah Coleman, HS health; Kimberly Martin, HS classroom aide; Vanessa Nelson, ELL teacher
- Contract Changes: Ken Garcia, HS Bldg Engineer effective July 1, 2013; Gary Reihman NBE to AE custodian; Angela Murdock, to half time as NBE classroom aide; Shelly Ealy, MS to HS Sped teacher; Lonnie Dayton, HS to MS Sped Teacher; Jenny Panther, CCE to MS/AE library teacher; Marla Austin, AE to MS Rdg teacher; Steve Smith, MS to NBE Sped Teacher; Molly Wait, 0.5 CCE/0.5 MS Art to 0.5 MS TAG/0.5 MS Art.
- Bills in the amount of $604,284.27
- Financial Reports
- Facilities Committee Recommendations
- Diesel Bids
- Progressive Rehabilitation Assoc LLC Contract
- 2013-14 Swimming/Diving Sharing Agreement with Williamsburg
- Minutes of April 17, 2013 – Work Session and Regular Meeting
Motion Seelman, second Pitlick to adjourn at 7:48 pm. Ayes – all.
Contact our School Board
These comments are accessible by all board members, board secretary and superintendent, at any time. Comments posted here will be summarized for board members once a month and will be acknowledged by the board during public meeting.